Thanks to all of you who contacted me following my video blog last week on ‘How To Write Compelling Headlines’. I am glad the advice was so useful – it obviously struck a chord judging by the number of you who got back to me about it.
So I thought in my Sunday blog this week I would continue with the theme on how to create magic with words and motivate people to take action whether that is to read your communications or buy your products and services. In other words you need to write engaging content.
Here’s my rule of 9 that your reader needs to see:
1) Something that makes them curious - remember my video giving tips on writing compelling headlines. Not seen it before ? View it here
2) Relevance – both in terms of their need to move away from ‘pain’ or problems or towards their aspirations and dreams
3) Words that connect – language that is pitched at your target readers
4) Benefits not features so make sure you tune into their WIIFM channel – “what’s in it for me?”. Remember, features are hell, but benefits sell.
5) Copy that sizzles with power words that are active, vibrant, passionate and enthusiastic
6) Attractive layout – if it doesn’t look good the reader makes the assumption it can’t be good
7) A logical, easy to follow structure with short sentences and lots of white space
8) Convincers, which could be social proof, examples or stats
9) A call to action as a result of reading your communication
So there you have my ‘Rule of 9’ to create engaging content.
Founder & CEO
How To Market Training